Thursday, March 8, 2012

Epic Kaya's - 15, 25, 35, 50 pt escalation theme list

I'm planning to attend my first organized tournament at the end of this month and it's an escalation format. Four rounds, the first two are 15 and 25 points, caster kill objective. The last two rounds are steamroller scenarios at 35 and 50 pts. Each larger list has to include all of the models in the previous list.  A theme list already has some constraints on it and adding the additional escalation parameters really adds another dimension to the list building.  I'm surely not up to the challenge, but I thought I'd write it up anyway.

I'm not taking this too seriously, and have low expectations considering my experience, but at the same time, I want to do my best.  I'm pretty new to the game and I'm still building out my Circle army. eKaya's theme force, compared to other casters, lets me get away with painting the fewest models, and given my time constraint (3 weeks) that's going to be important. I'm pretty much settled on the final 50 pt list, but I may still tweak the progression from 15 to 50 pts.  I want my army to be playable at all point levels, since every match matters in the standings. To start, here's my final list:

50 Pts (Tier 4):
  • {00} Kaya the Moonhunter (0 / 3 WB)
    • {00} Laris (Companion)
    • {02} Druid Wilder
    • {07} Gnarlhorn Satyr
    • {08} Feral Warpwolf
    • {08} Pureblood Warpwolf
    • {09} Warpwolf Stalker
  • {07} Druids of Orboros
    • {02} Druid of Orboros Overseer
  • {02} Shifting Stones
    • {01} Stone Keeper
  • {02} Shifting Stones
  • {05} Warpborn Skinwalkers (2 grunts)

I struggle with when to add my beasts, knowing I want to get to 4 heavies eventually. At the most, until 50 pts, I can only add one beast per level. This will typically mean that I can ONLY add a beast for the additional 10 pts at each level. There are also the theme bonuses to keep in mind. T2 requires a unit of Skinwalkers, and T3 requires a unit of Druids. T4 is two heavy beasts, which is easy later on, but hard to get to early. So, one goal of the lists is to get to T4 quickly. That means a unit of Skinwalkers, a unit of Druids, and two heavies ASAP. The sooner I get to T4, the sooner the heavies become 1 point cheaper. So from here, I'll do the escalation, starting at 15 pts.

15 pts (Tier 2):
  • {00} Kaya the Moonhunter (0 / 3 WB)
    • {00} Laris (Companion)
    • {10} Warpwolf Stalker
  • {02} Shifting Stones
    • {01} Stone Keeper
  • {05} Warpborn Skinwalkers (2 grunts)

At 15, I didn't have enough points to add druids yet. I'm feeling a bit light # of attacks, and hope the Skinwalkers help out there. I'm really eager to get Druids into the list early as well to get more attacks. That brings me to 25pts.

At 25 pts I add another beast and another unit of stones. I could have added the Druid Wilder instead of the stones, and I could still make that change. I don't want to add a third heavy without her in the list and I can't afford to add her and a third heavy at the same time. Plus, I want my Druids.

25 pts (Tier 2):
  • {00} Kaya the Moonhunter (0 / 3 WB)
    • {00} Laris (Companion)
    • {08} Gnarlhorn Satyr
    • {10} Warpwolf Stalker
  • {02} Shifting Stones
    • {01} Stone Keeper
  • {02} Shifting Stones
  • {05} Warpborn Skinwalkers (2 grunts)

On to 35 pts. Finally I'm adding the Druids. Better late than never. I don't have points for another beast, so I put the Druid Wilder into the game early and am running a point short. I'm not filling it with a War Wolf because I'll need the point at 50. I also got to Tier 4 at this level.

35 pts(Tier 4):
  • {00} Kaya the Moonhunter (0 / 3 WB)
    • {00} Laris (Companion)
    • {02} Druid Wilder
    • {07} Gnarlhorn Satyr
    • {09} Warpwolf Stalker
  • {07} Druids of Orboros
    • {02} Druid of Orboros Overseer
  • {02} Shifting Stones
    • {01} Stone Keeper
  • {02} Shifting Stones
  • {05} Warpborn Skinwalkers (2 grunts)

I really like the 35 point list, although I wish for another beast. That's what 50pts is for. At 50 I added a Feral and Pureblood. I'm playing with four scary beasts (and 1 intimidating beast) now with a Druid Wilder and Shifting Stones to help manage them.

Re-posting 50 pts(Tier 4):
  • {00} Kaya the Moonhunter (0 / 3 WB)
    • {00} Laris (Companion)
    • {02} Druid Wilder
    • {07} Gnarlhorn Satyr
    • {08} Feral Warpwolf
    • {08} Pureblood Warpwolf
    • {09} Warpwolf Stalker
  • {07} Druids of Orboros
    • {02} Druid of Orboros Overseer
  • {02} Shifting Stones
    • {01} Stone Keeper
  • {02} Shifting Stones
  • {05} Warpborn Skinwalkers (2 grunts)

This has been quite the list-building exercise. It's one thing to build a single list, it's another to build one that grows and remains effective at each level. Any feedback, help, comments would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment